Extension Food Preservation Publications
Available for free download using the links below, or in print, for a fee at the Learning Store, UW Extension provides up to date information on food preservation.
- Canning Fruit
- Canning Meat & Wild Game
- Canning Vegetables
- Homemade Pickles and Relishes
- Canning Salsa
- Freezing Fruits and Vegetables
- Making Jams, Jellies and Fruit Preserves
- Tomatoes Tart and Tasty
- Using Clear Jel (helplful fact sheet courtesy of Washington State University)
Need food preservation supplies, equipment or parts?
Food Preservation, Equipment and Supplies compiled by Barbara Ingham, Food Science Professor, UW-Madison.
Atmospheric Steam Canner: Guidelines for Use in Home Food Preservation
University of Wisconsin has now indicated that Atmospheric Steam Canners may be safely used for canning naturally acidic foods, however certain criteria must be met. For further information, read Steam Canner Guidelines.
Safe & Healthy: Preserving Food at Home Blog
UW-Extension food scientist Barbara Ingham offers information on home food preservation through the Safe and Healthy: Preserving Food at Home blog, which covers a broad range of food preservation and safety topics. This blog features new and timely posts frequently.
- Extension Publications
- Government Nutrition Information
- U.S. Dept. of Agriculture’s Searchable Nutrient Database
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
- Nutrition and Physical Activity Information
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Choose My Plate